Friday, February 7, 2014

Night of Jan. 31, 2014.

I got promoted.

When I was being taken upstairs, all I could think about was what I could have done wrong. Write up? I haven't been late recently. I never go over on my breaks. It can't be inaccuracy because I always count back my change. What else was there? I was shaking because I couldn't figure it out.

"Before I start, is there anything that you want to tell me?"
"Not that I know of, no."
"Are you sure? Nothing at all? Think really hard."
*There was a pause as I ran all the possible scenarios in my head once more.
"Yes, I can't think of anything."
"Then why would you think that you're in trouble?"

She flips over an evaluation paper as I let out a relieving sigh.
"Calm down Keana, you're just getting your evaluation."
"Didn't I already do my eval? Ms. Thompson gave it to me just a few weeks ago."
"Yes, but you need another one when you get promoted."
"Wait, what?"
"Congratulations Keana, we're promoting you to become a Team Leader."

My mind was racing, and the first two things that I thought about was the conversation that I had with Ms. Patterson JUST on Tuesday, and Gerico. Is it a bad thing that I felt more scared/nervous than happy/excited? As she was going over my evaluation, I couldn't help but think that I wasn't ready. Not yet. I still have a lot to learn and things to improve on in all areas. What could I have done that would possibly make management think that I was ready?

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm scared for how everyone will react to these new promotions. I understand that I shouldn't care about what other people think, but I do. However, what's done is done. I can only continue to grow and strive to improve from here. I'm not going to be one of those TL's that choose to stop putting in the effort or no longer feel the need to listen to others just because they already have it. No, you have to follow before you can lead, and I'm going to work for it and prove to myself as well as my peers that I'm capable of this position. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment