Friday, February 1, 2013

Library Arc

It was barely hitting 5pm when I arrived at the library. I decided to sit at a table that had an open window. I may hate how the sunlight shines through, but having a view made me feel less confined.

The work load that I have on my plate right now is overwhelming, and everything was scattered all over the table. Chemistry and Statistics were kicking my ass. I'm having trouble understanding these concepts and it's stressing me out. I smacked my palm on my forehead in frustration when I just decided to work on my English paper that was about to be due.

An unfamiliar and deep voice suddenly comments, "You don't look stressed at all." 

I look up to see a guy with that typical image of a: maroon and white sweater over a black leather jacket, jeans, and black and white vans. I assumed he was somewhere around my age because I also noticed that he was holding an Anatomy textbook.

"Are you mocking my misery?" I replied sarcastically.
"Now why would I do that to someone that I don't even know?" He replies with a smile.

Well that's a cute smile, I thought to myself. 

"Actually, I was just wondering if I could sit here. The rest of the library seems to be full. Unless of course, these seats are already occupied."
I assumed he was referring to my papers all around the table. 
I let out a bit of a chuckle as I replied, "I don't see why not. Sorry, everything's just all over."

I collect everything and pile it in an organized manner as he replied with a simple "Thank you," and pulled out the chair diagonally across from me. I continue working on my paper as he starts whatever he had to do.

We went about our own things for awhile until a conversation picked up. 

"Did you by any chance take Anatomy?" he asks.
"I did last semester actually."
"Do you mind helping me with something?"
I took this question as an opportunity to maybe have him help me, also.
"It depends. Did you take Chemistry and Stats?"
"I'm good at math, yeah! I only took Chemistry in high school though."
"Tell you what, I'll help you in Anatomy if you help me in Stats."
"Deal!" he replies excitedly. 

We didn't realize it, but the time flew by. Before we knew it the library was about to close. For feeling so overwhelmed when I first arrived, he helped me understand what I was learning in Stats much better which took a bit of a load off my shoulders. It's true what they say, that "students teaching other students can be more helpful than when a teacher teaches the students." All I could hope for was that I was just as helpful to him with Anatomy. 

We started packing up our things when he asks, "Do you mind if we meet here again tomorrow?"
I smiled as I re-played everything that happened the last few hours.
"I don't see the harm in that."

No comments:

Post a Comment